Leaks are an unfortunate occurrence for any homeowner in Alabama. They can cause significant water damage to the roof, ceilings, walls, and furniture within a home. In general roof leak repairs in Alabama will be costly if you don’t address the repairs correctly. It is important that roof leaks be dealt with promptly & by professional roofers. Therefore, homeowners should always seek out roof repair contractors to help repair their roofs in Alabama. This blog post discusses the warning signs of a leaking roof and what to do about it before it becomes too late!
Table of contents
- How to find a roof leak
- How to fix a roof leak
- Repairing the leaks
- Repairing Flat roof membranes
How to find a roof leak
If you can access your attic: iRoof recommends that you start your search there. Remember that Where your roof leak entered is different than where you see the roof leak on your ceiling. So when you are up in your attic look for two leak access points. One in your ceiling and the other on the top of your attic. If you don’t have access to your attic then call a professional roofer in Alabama. There’s no need to make your roof leak repairs complicated.
Look for wet spots on sheathing or rafters
Carry a flashlight to use to detect any shiny or wet spots on the underside of the roof sheathing or rafters. An older leak will show signs of rotting wood or mold growing around the leak. Iy your rafter bays are insulated then you can also look for moist areas around the batts. Once you manage to locate the location of the leak then get your ladder and find the cause. Check for obvious signals on your roof – such as missing or torn shingles or slates. check the flashing around the vent pipes, dormers, & roof-pitch transition points.
Check for holes or tears in the flashing
Flashing is the material used to cover objects around your roof. So when you are up on your roof make sure you check around your chimney roof for cracks, tears, & holes. Keep a lookout for where leaves & twigs may have built up or any water that has not been drained away. Take some extra time to assess the general health of your roof.
If your roof is a flat-roof or low-pitched then look for penetrations or blocked drains. A troubling area may be indicated by water puddles. When you are walking around your roof feel for soft spots or areas that show signs of water damage.
If you can’t find the roof leak, then you might have to water your roof to try to find any areas that show signs of damage. When you are pouring water on your roof have someone on the attic look for any signs of leaking.
How to perform a roof leak repair in Alabama
Once you have found then it is time to start your roof leak repair process. Depending on the type of roof – every roof repair should be repaired by a professional roofer in Alabama. If you don’t feel adequate to repair your roof then please consider hiring a roofing contractor. on top of it all, at iRoof Pros. we carry the necessary equipment to effectively repair any roof leak damage that your home may suffer from.
Materials needed if you are doing the roof leak repair
Considering that you have asphalt shingles then you will need the following materials:
- Utility knife
- Caulk gun& a tube of roof sealant
- Hammer & roofing nails
- Flat bar
- New shingles
Coordinate your repairs with the outside temperature so if the outside is cold then cold shingles are brittle while hot shingles are easily tearable.
- Removing old shingles, begin by tearing the edge of the flat bar under the exposed edge so you can break the adhesive seal.
- Once you found a new unit, use your flat bar to pry up the exposed front edge of the old flashing material, remove any any nails, & lift the base & the boot off the pipe.
- Apply a good amount of roof sealant to the underside of the new flashing material
- replace any nails, seal all exposed heads – or use nails with neoprene washers.
Repairing the flashing in Alabama
There are lots of places where the flashing materials can be installed wrong or are in need of repairs. If the counter flashing around your chimney is leaking, use roof sealant to repair cracks or glue individual pieces back down.
When you find that the source of the roof leak is in the step flashing along with a dormer, a sidewall, or around the skylight then you have two options.
- replace the flashing material & the surrounding area
- Repair the damage flashing with a generous application of roof sealant. Trick is to keep the sealant’s surface smooth because any bumps or lumps can divert water and prevent it from draining properly. Make sure to cover all nails since any exposed nails can lead to them falling out of the flashing material.
Checking your flat roof membranes
More than likely if you have a flat roof then you are more than likely carrying a substrate of la highly dense fiberboard. covered by a rubberized material glued down to the roof deck.
Repairing your roof leak in your membrane
If you are repairing a big leak in the membrane, you will need a similar material that matches the membrane on your roof, some rubber to rubber contact cement, acetone, a paint roller, a utility knife, a paintbrush, roof sealant, and a caulk gun.
- Cut away the membrane around the leak to determine if the substrate is water damaged. if yes, cut away enough of the membrane so you are able to remove any of the damage fiberboard.
- cut your replacement piece and screw it into place using the same screws and washers, shimming with the same material, if needed, to make the new piece flush.
- Cut a new piece of membrane that extends beyond the original by several inches. Lay the new patch over the damage area and mark its outline.
- Use your acetone to clean the membrane regardless if it is new or old. Apply a coat of contact cement across the back of the patch.
- once the cement has dried, position the patch over the outlined area and press the patch down onto the membrane, smooth out the surface as you go.
- Finish by applying a bead of sealant around the perimeter of the patch.